View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
My question is, is there a good population of U.K collectors out there?
I wouldn't say a good population of UK collectors but certainly some. Generally, the catch-all term over here for cards would be "cigarette cards".

Interestingly, the main sport for collectors here is soccer (or "football" as we call it over here) but turn of the century cigarette cards of famous footballers can be picked up for negligible prices and would be almost unheard of for a single cigarette card of a player to sell for close to $100. The main collecting interest wouldn't be cards but programs and, in my opinion, the market for vintage programs is more buoyant than in the US.

I should add that I previously sold some items of baseball memorabilia using my UK address via ebay.com ..... prices realized were typically considerably lower than had I used a US address. No doubt the fear of customs charges was a hindrance but, equally, wouldn't be surprised of some potential bidders equally asking the same questions you are asking and deciding not to bid. As a result, one or two buyers got great bargains.

Last edited by Ulidia; 02-21-2012 at 01:15 PM.