View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Martin Parker

There are a few of us that I know about but most seem to favour modern cards. Recently more people seem to be selling than buying (I would guess this is because the currency exchange rates are 25% better for UK sellers now than 3 years ago - they seem to like that strong US$).

I missed the N162 Kelly - nice looking card! Haven't purchased anything from this seller.

Robert A - the seller you purchased the Ramly from is absolutly top notch. I purchased a t205 Mathewson from him last week and it arrived in 2 days. He used to have around 200 x t206 cards including Cobb, Young, Mathewson and most HOFers (they were mostly sold off 12-18 months ago now). The seller told me they were originally bought raw about 10 years ago and then he got them graded. In this case he prefers 19th century cards (from many sets produced worldwide).

I would hazard a guess that US servicemen stationed her during the two world wars could have been responsible for some of the older baseball cards in the UK. A gentleman used to buy small lots from me between 2005-2008 that came from Cleveland but retired in England. The increased migratory patterns of individuals has also probably had an impact in the last 10-20 years.

In terms of English cards - the best looking sports cards in my opinion are the early cricket sets of Wills (1896 and 1901). The WG Grace cards in each set are considered the toughest but probably wouldn't exceed $200-250 in excellent condition.