View Single Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Frank Wakefield

Steven, there are a few T3's that would not be readily "completely findable."

When these cards were distributed, folks sent in coupons and requested a card. The thinking is that there were more star players distributed than regular players. Still, the stars now command good prices. Cobb, as you mentioned. The Mathewson card is a piece of art, I don't have one, but someone should post one in this thread. The Johnson card gets a good price, and Cy Young does a bit. Young cards usually sell for a bit less than those other 3, I think that's because there are many more Young cards out there. Don't rely on pop reports on these, some of the HOFers have been resubmitted, and they're also more likely to be graded than the card of a regular player. The Rhoades card is less plentiful than other regular cards, if you're going to try to complete these I suggest getting the first Rhoades you find, because it could be some time before you see another. Once in a while one or two will surface and be for sale. If we all piled all of our T3's on a table, together, and stacked them in piles by player, I think there would be fewer Bob Rhoades cards than any other. The cards from the second series are ever so slightly less plentiful. Same goes again for cards with the Turkey Red ad on the back. The generic cards like "Out at Third" and "A Close Play" are less plentiful, who'd have asked for one of those if they could get a Cobb or Lajoie instead???

We need someone to post the Mathewson card...