View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Mike,

The first five cards from the Legendary auction (Fritch, Goslin, O'Doul, Simmons, and Cochrane) have a little bit of a blank right border and line-up really nicely. While the next five (Grove, Grimes, Hornsby, Gehrig, and Ruth) are cut right on the edge of the right border with no blank cardboard space. At first glanced, I assumed a slight angle cut but now I'm not so sure. These cards obviously saw a blade before the cross country trip to SGC, which makes it tough to tell.

3411 N. 2nd St., Phila., PA was the address of Bubble Gum Novelties (Marble Gum). Evidence indicates that the W553 set, containing sports and non-sports cards, was perhaps printed at that address and packaged with gum. That is, the w553 set is actually one of the first (actually second) baseball cards issued with gum (Colgan chips a round baseball player portrait disc about the size of a silver dollar was distributed with gum in 1909). One day I will start a Net54 poll to determine whether the Colgan chips are actually baseball cards?????

Last edited by iggyman; 03-16-2012 at 02:04 PM.