View Single Post
Old 05-17-2012, 04:55 PM

Default Need help identifying and dating old photograph

Howdy ~

I am a brand new member (actually more of a guest) and this is my first post. Hopefully I'm placing my inquiry in the appropriate forum. It pertains to an old photograph I acquired recently and need some help with. And even though I have already done quite a bit of research, I still don't know much more about it than when I started. What I'm hoping to find out here is ...

1. How old it is? (Approximate).
2. Where it was taken?
3. If anyone recognizes the player?

I'm not concerned with value right now, as that depends entirely on whether or not it can be acurately dated and identified.

Here's what I know about it so far ... Part of which was determined by examining it under a x20-Power Jeweler's Diamond Scope. (Also please see inserted pictures).

1. The paper itself is super thin and might be of the albumen type which was popular in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

2. The image is a sepia (brownish) tone.

3. Overall the paper measures 2 3/4" x 2 1/4" With the oval aspect being just a tad bit smaller.

4. There are no water marks or any other identifying marks on the paper.

5. The Player's jersey is collared, in addition to wearing a two-toned, short bill cap - high-top, black shoes - a looped belt and baggy uniform. His socks might be two-toned black lower and light upper, but the upper part might be his bare leg or a continuation of his pants - its hard to say which. There are no visible numbers or patches on the uniform.

6. Just above the ankle on his right sock is what appears to be a white circle. But I'm sure he is not wearing stirrup socks because the forward left foot is different, which the Diamond Scope confirmed.

7. The field (which is hand-colored a barely visible green) looks more like a cow pasture than a baseball field.

8. In the background is a grain elevator and some other buildings. The Diamond Scope revealed that the top word of the three words on the main building is the word GRAIN.

9. The trees appear to not have leaves.

10. The metal frame that the photo was mounted in when I got it is made of tin and is oval shape. The oval part of the frame and the oval part of the photo match up well and I believe they are original to one another.

11. The frame has small, hand painted flowers at the 9:00-12:00 and 3:00 o'clock positions, and is just slightly larger than the photo itself.

That's about all I can think of to mention, other than to say my best guess regarding a date is circa 1905-1910. But this is only a guess based on my recent research.

And even though identifying the player would be great, the real emphasis is with dating the uniform and/or identifying the location of the grain elevator? I have already looked at a zillion grain elevator pictures and gave up on that, but was still hoping that someone here might recognize it. If the grain elevator can be identified, then the rest of the puzzle will likely fall into place on it's own.

I hope I have provided enough information and that I have not overstayed my welcome here. I suppose I could just as easily have said ...

"Does anybody recognize anything about this old baseball photograph? If so, please let me know."

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

BOB52

PS ~ I am going to post this as is for now until I can figure out how to insert pictures. I'll be back. Thanks.

Last edited by BOB52; 05-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.