View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 01:27 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
David- I like the idea of having precious metals- I'm probably more of a gold bug than a silver one- but I'm surprised that they've been trading in such a very narrow range for so long. Remember when silver would shoot up to $40-50 an ounce? Now I can't recall when it has traded outside $13-15 an ounce. There doesn't seem a whole lot of interest in gold or silver these days.

I've thought about putting away some precious metals but I don't know if there is any money to be made. I recently started collecting currency, and I have some nice gold and silver certificates, but they are of course only symbolic. You can't get silver or gold on demand any more.
I'm certainly no one to give financial advice, but I believe everyone should own some metals. For me, it's silver because I look at the potential. However, the first metals I ever purchased was gold, but that was back in 2002 and I think I was paying like $380 an ounce at the time IIRC.

Right now, I just like to upside to silver. Both had highs in 2011 - gold $1917.90 per ounce, silver $49.82 and ounce (within like a dollar of its all time high). Today, gold is $1342.80 per ounce or 70% of its 2011 high, but silver is only $14.82 per ounce or 30% of its 2011 high. I would have to study the history of the gold to silver ratio In terms of price, but as of today it's a little over 90:1. I do know at one point in the late 1700s (I believe) it was like at a 15:1 ratio. But since it's being mined at a 9:1 ratio, then I just think it has tremendous potential. It stands to reason that either gold has to come down or silver has to go up. I'm betting on the silver side.