View Single Post
Old 09-02-2020, 10:52 AM

The year was 2002. I'd just turned 16 years old and went to spring training with my dad in Florida for the first time. We went to Yankee camp and it just happened to also be media day that day. There were camera crews everywhere and we had a great spot on this fence between fields.

Yankee camp has always been just about the worst place to be for a variety of reasons, namely that it attracts an insane crowd and hardly anyone on the Yankees signs autographs. BUT because it was media day, the big boys were a lot more approachable. One by one all the big players came out and stopped to sign once they saw the cameras on them. I was able to snag three of the Core Four plus Joe Torre in one day for free. I later added Pettitte at a show to complete the Core. Easily the best single day I've had hunting:

HOWEVER, like I said, it was 2002. The Yankees had just signed former MVP Jason Giambi. And I made the fateful decision to get his autograph first and then used the same ball for the Core Four later on. Giambi (thankfully) is on his own panel though. But how could I know what was coming? I happy just to land Giambi when it happened.

Last edited by packs; 09-02-2020 at 12:30 PM.