View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 02:25 PM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieBaseball View Post
Speaking of T206 inconsistencies from 1909-11, there are many folks out there that believe the T213-1 Coupon's should be part of the T206 collection of various Tobacco backs. 1910, Tobacco back, exact same design as the rest of the T206 tobacco backs, with only 1 slight variation (sorta like an American Beauty which is cut narrower in width, only the Coupon is cut narrower in depth) Cough, cough.... I digress - Love these Uber rare rascals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Hi Jeremy

You and I (and some T206 collectors on this forum) agree that the 1910 COUPON cards should be included in the family of the T206 tobacco brands.

The ones who disagree with us are unaware that these cards were NOT meant to be "stiffiners" in cigarette packs. The initial offering of the COUPON
cigarettes was in rectangular cartons containing 200 (or more) loose cigarettes.....circa 1909 - 1910).
Many of the cards were inserted in these cartons, while others were pasted on the outside of the carton. Hence, the paper loss on the backs of some
of these cards (e.g. my Cobb).]

Further proof of this is evident on my Doolan card which has cardboard residue on it from being pasted on a cigarette carton.

Whatever, here is my nicest 1910 COUPON card. If I am lucky, the stupid TPG's will probably grade it only a "2" (or perhaps a "1.5").

TED Z

T206 Reference

Here's something to consider concerning the T213's. The original American Lithograph journal that was discovered covers the years of 1909-1912.
In the journal it has instructions on what to insert in the cigarette packs and cartons. There are 45 brands in the journal including all the t206 brands
Coupon cigarettes isn't included in the 45 brands in the ALC journal.