View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 08:22 PM

Default 1930s-40s Apex Photography Co 5x7 photos

I somehow managed to buy a nearly identical photo to one I already had. The player is Joe Heving, and I had previously purchased a nice 1930s Apex Photography Co 5x7 photo of him. Of course I couldn't pass up the next photo of him I saw, completely forgetting I already had one, so I picked up another 1930s Apex Photography Co 5x7 photo.

Once I realized I had purchased the same photo twice, I immediately thought to keep the nicer one and move along. However, I noticed that they are not notated the same way, nor is the player number (AL-1295) present on the front of both photos. My earlier purchase is a nicer example, but the later purchase has the number on front. Both have the Apex Photography Co. stamp on the back, but my earlier purchase has the name and team hand-written, and the later purchase has them typed out at the top.

I believe them both to be period and genuine. I have other photos that follow either format, but this is the first one I have seen with both formats for the same subject to compare.

Can anyone shed some light as to what's going on with the different formats? Is one earlier/one later, or the result of two different people at Apex cataloging them differently, or something else? Is one version more collected than the other?

Last edited by JLange; 10-19-2019 at 08:22 PM.