View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 12:55 PM
Curt

If you are not fortunate enough to have all of the actual cards at your disposal, you can search for them and likely find someone has posted an image online. however, if you are not aware of a certain card, you'd have to stumble upon it accidentally to even know.

This book is amazing. I got it for Christmas in 1985 and still say to this day, it was the best gift I have ever received.

https://www.abebooks.com/Topps-Baseb...xoCbAUQAvD_BwE

Once you have all the images in one place, it comes down to beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I am one of those that likes action shots of the 70s (71 Munson & Ryan, 76 Bench, 78 Jackson already shown - ALL EPIC cards). not everyone agrees though. The 60s to me are some of the most boring looking cards, simply because most are head and posed shots.

56 Topps is my favorite vintage card design and just about any of the cards look great, but clearly it comes down to the star power for most to make a card appealing and memorable (Mantle, Mays, Robinson, Aaron, Williams, etc). They all have the same head shot and a small painted action shot, so what makes one better than the rest?

I also like cards like and similar to the 61 Covington, not an action shot, but an interesting non-head shot or boring pose. I think Elmer Valo has a similar shot in the 57 set and Jose Laboy has a cool one in the 70 Topps set too. These cards stand out because they are not like most of the others. Unfortunately they are not HOF players, so those cards get lost in people's memories. I can rattle off a bunch of great 70s action shots that are on common cards, which makes them less appealing to most.

One of my favorites combines one of my favorite sets (1978, my first year collecting), an action shot, a Topps all-rookie team trophy and a star cameo. it is the Doug Ault card. Sadly, Doug didn't have the career that his fellow ART member Eddie Murray had. To me, this is what card collecting is all about. He is not the best card in the set, but certainly one of the most, if not the most interesting and visually appealing cards of the set. I could only imagine that same card with Murray at the plate would probably be discussed as one of the greatest card images of all time.

A few other real cool action shots that strand out to me are included as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l400.jpg (31.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (22.6 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 511hntUm0lL._SY780_.jpg (45.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (24.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 71gRWcZYHIL._AC_SY606_.jpg (48.4 KB, 103 views)