View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 07:30 AM

I went to Indianapolis yesterday for the Indiana Boxing Hall of Fame. Michael Spinks and Buster Douglas were both there.

Michael Spinks arrived early to his signing, which was scheduled for 11:15. He was was a very nice man. I took a picture with him. I asked him how Leon is doing, he said much better. I also asked him what he would've done differently if he could have the Tyson fight again. He said he would've moved around the ring more.

The signatures were $20 each. I didn't know. So, initially, he only signed one cover for me because of that.

Meanwhile, Buster Douglas was late. It was as if people completely abandoned social distancing while there yesterday. I wore a hat, sunglasses, mask and gloves to try and protect myself, since I only went for the autographs.

I was standing by the door by the signing table, and sometimes went outside, holding the door open, to keep six feet. People were shaking hands and had their masks on their ears, but not being covered. Not to mention, the room over was very small, with many tables and people packed in. That's probably my one complaint about the event is they didn't take enough precautions, in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm wondering where Buster is and I have to use the restroom, and I look over in the lobby. Buster is sitting down chatting with somebody. So, I pass him his $20, and I lay my SI down. He puts it on his lap and signs it. I asked him if he could believe it's been 30 years.

I have $15 left. So, I ask Michael Spinks if he would do another cover for $15. He agreed to do so. This one was a thing of beauty.

I didn't get my cover signed with him beating Larry Holmes, but honestly, that magazine isn't in as good of a condition as the others are. I waited months for this, and three out of four isn't bad at all.

I believe this now puts me at 43 signed covers. It's obviously a long way to go, but also a lot of progress since I had about eight signed through the years, but only decided to go for this since July 2019. I love getting these by mail. I love getting them in person even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0239.jpg (71.8 KB, 1016 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0238.jpg (69.3 KB, 1006 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0240.jpg (69.4 KB, 1018 views)