View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 08:10 PM
Patrick N.

Default I finally caught up... (My '57 Topps BB Ted Williams)

So this was about 10 years ago. Was at the once/ yr national dealer show in Pittsburgh at Robert Morris college, about 200 tables. Was working 60 hours+/6 days a week at the post office nearby and had a chance to swing by the show early Sunday morning before I started work. My favorite set is '57 BB, I would typically balk at dealer raw prices anywhere near Beckett nm book value which at that time was still a factor. At these shows, I typically bought one or two "big" cards which for me were around $200-$300/ea. and another couple hundred on singles $1-50/ea. with a few to flip on eBay (high numbers, etc.).

Well, having struck out on the getting a big card a '64 Clemente PSA 8. I passed on it for like $350, now $1300. I saw comps on eBay for like $300 and this PSA 8 Clemente waa a litte o/c. Screw that, not paying extra just cause I'm at a show, was my thinking.... then, I passed by a table towards the exit as I was leaving without my big purchase yet and there was a fresh stack of raw '57 stars. Looking at my watch, I didn't have much time to dabble as work started in about an hour. But I flipped through the stack and the dealer mentioned "just bought this raw lot from a long time collector" kinda thing. Well, out jumped this beautifully centered Ted Williiams. I forget the sticker price but he was firm at $300 which for me was very high for a raw card with light corner wear. That said, I had to have this card and at a 6 or possible 7 would break even or so. ,

So I race to work pretty excited with my last pick-up. As I pulled into the parking garage at the large po distribution center, and gearing up for a long work day, I turned on my interior car lights to take a closer inspection of my big newest big pick-up and *BAM* there I see four or five noticeable "cat scratch" marks/gouges in the card. Man my heart sunk/boy was I floored. I just paid $300 for a $100 card, and I really wanted this one for the PC. So I went to work pretty discouraged/feeling I wasted my time and now had to report for this dead-end job. I did eventually submit the card, and somehow hung onto it over the years. 10 years later as I re-upped my VCP account, the value has finally caught up with my over-priced original purchase....

The point of this story is that for every failure if you are patient and learn from your mistakes it will all work out in the end....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1957's x4.jpg (75.4 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by mintacular; 11-24-2021 at 08:56 PM.