View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 01:19 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
While I basically agree with you, Frank, about how exciting Ohtani is, I also feel that a bit more perspective is in order. For example, the fences were typically 450+ feet from home plate back in Ruth's day. There is a book titled, "The Year the Babe Hit 104 Home Runs," which, I believe, is premised on the idea that today's fences would have yielded that many homers to Ruth in 1921 even though the record books only credit him with 59. In fact, we still have good video evidence that the Babe was able to hit a 500+ foot home run in every American League park that year! And of course we know there were years when he out-homered entire teams. As a power hitter, I don't think anyone else compares to Ruth.
He is only credited with 59 home runs in 1921 because that is how many he it. I don't know of any record books that make adjustments based on what the fences would be like in the future.

This is great news that there is good video evidence of Babe Ruth's home runs in every AL park in 1921. I would love to see those videos so any links would be appreciated.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.