View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 12:11 AM
Bob C.

[QUOTE=Michael B;2309933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

A little trivia. Besides Lemmy, THE legendary Ginger Baker was a one-time member of Hawkwind, and they also collaborated with Eno for a period in the '70s as well. Also, many people know of Stephen Kings' musical interest and his performances with the band, Rock Bottom Remainders. But the King of Horror was nowhere near the first ever well-known author to be a rock performer. Michael Moorcock, a famous and prolific science-fiction/fantasy writer (if you don't believe me, go look him up) also performed with Hawkwind for a time in the '70s and was good friends with members of the group. In fact, in 1976, along with co-author Michael Butterworth, Moorcock released the science fiction/fantasy novel "Time of the Hawklords" based on, around, and including all the then current members of Hawkwind as the main characters of this science-fiction/fantasy book. To my knowledge, it is the first time ANY band was ever made the subject of a true science fiction/fantasy novel, and also not just the first, but also maybe the ONLY band to my knowledge to have ever have that distinction as well. I think I still have my paperback copy buried down somewhere in my storage room.

Arthur Brown (The Crazy World of Arthur Brown - 'Fire) and Lene Lovich (new wave singer - 'New Toy") also played with the band.

To further the trivia: If you watch the video of 'Fire' on youtube from "Top of the Pops" (TOTP) you will see Carl Palmer playing the drums. He did not play on the recording, but joined the band shortly thereafter as an 18 year old.
Darn you Michael, I was going to save that for a possible follow-up Hawkwind trivia. LOL

You are right though, they used to have Arthur play with the group as part of Hawkwind, and then on other occasions he would perform separately as his own act, The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, and open or be on the same bill with them. These guys are all like true throw-backs to the hippie era of the late 60s-early 70s, and were really into festivals and free performances and all that. They still put on their own annual festival called "Hawkfest", the latest one of which was just back in September of last year, and The Crazy World of Arthur Brown, was on the bill. I assume they may have a 2023 Hawkfest in the works as well. If you check their site you can see who else was on their 2022 Hawkfest bill, and also that they have a few 2023 concert dates already set up as well. If you go to the site, be sure to check out some of the other groups they've recently played with or are scheduled to play with in 2023. Some definite jogs to the old memory: Curved Air, Soft Machine, Jethro Tull, Wishbone Ash

http://www.hawkwind.com/