View Single Post
Old 12-28-2014, 06:11 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

Default Pickles and Big Train

The issue Bernie here is that we are all collectors and have many things in common and that includes a love of baseball and collecting its memorabilia and history, in this particular case it is autographs. Regardless of our academic backgrounds, our professions, our niche in autographs , and our ability to spend and acquire on a budget or without spending limits we all have been taken advantage of, overpaid for items, been screwed by 3rd party TPAs ( including PSA and JSA) and auction houses and at times by dealers. From these experiences , whether we have been collecting for 40+ years like me , or just entered this great and , at times cruel and unforgiving hobby, we all learn from these experiences , gain great knowledge , form friendships, and yes, develop an ego and attitude. It just comes with the territory.
The attitude we develop can influence a lot of things on this forum.
People here can be skeptical, but above all I find them to alarmingly honest with no financial gain expected for their opinions, which can for the post part be absolutely correct....regardless of what TPAs or money say.
But if you make an assertion please be ready to back it up.
So Pickles please address the issue of the Ruth ball, and back it up with substance not a mathematical formula and statistics because with TPAs there is no logical formula. Logic gets thrown out the window. Either it is good or it is not but back it up with facts not statistics.

Now Tom I would get the ball certed , as much as I hate to say it. Because if you are "trying to get things in order" for your family a COA will help them greatly in reselling or consigning the item, especially if they are not interested in your collection or lack the knowledge to judge authenticity and value. Although I never bought anything from "Broadway" Rick I remember his name and his SCD ads well. Best of luck with your decision.