View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 07:43 AM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Thanks for the great information, Mark. Not to hijack this thread, but I have one more question. How do you identify a vintage 19th century cap from a modern one made for use by vintage baseball teams? It seems like a modern one could be easily doctored to fool many a collector.
I can add a little here...there are certain features that are common in more recent caps, that you don't usually see in 19th century caps. Of course there are always variations and exceptions, but there are 'indicators' to help give confidence if it is a 19th century cap, or lead you to look closer.

- leather sweat bands: common in more recent caps, but not 19th century. The use of silk interior lining, covering the entire interior, is often seen in 19th century caps. From my honestly limited experience I have not come across a 19th cap with a leather band, but they very well may exist.

- ventilation holes, especially metal grommets. Vent holes are rarely seen in 19th century - where I have seen in 19thc they are stitched holes, and not metal grommets.

- visor stitching - The stitched visor was first introduced by Spalding in 1903 in their 'Philadelphia Style' cap.

- eight panels: indicative of earlier caps, but there is a lot of variation here.

At the end of the day you just kind of know from experience after feeling and comparing the stitching, materials and construction compared to a 19th century cap. A modern cap would stand out, but I am sure with enough effort and expertise you can give a modern cap that older feel and look.