View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 02:16 PM

In 1979 my uncle took my late cousin and I to game 6 of the 1979 WS in Baltimore. My uncle was a big personality in our community and knew a lot of guys. He was friends with one of the Orioles Grounds Crew members and he helped get us tickets for the game. We had hoped to see the Orioles win the game / series but the Pirates had other things in mind. After the game, my uncle's friend gave my cousin a Belanger cracked bat and a ball from the game and he gave me a grounds crew shirt along with a ball. I am not sure but I think I cried all the way home that evening. I am not sure if it was because the Orioles lost or because my cousin got a bat from the Blade and I got a shirt from the guy raking the field. My uncle told me to stop crying and said, "clearly Belanger did not need his bat (meaning he could not hit) so he gave it to my cousin and my retort was, "what about the grounds crewmen, did he not need his shirt (meaning, what in the world was I going to do with that thing)." My cousin and I had a great time that evening despite the loss and he sure seemed to enjoy getting the bat and laughing at my "shirt." I pulled the shirt out recently and researched it a little. It appears the Orioles Grounds Crew wore white shirts during the 79 WS and could not find any pictures of this shirt. The shirt is in perfect shape and is at least 41 years old. On the inside of the shirt there is a label that has the #9 as it does on the pocket, the company that was on contract cleaning the shirt appears to be Rentex Services Corp, with what appears to be the name Garris. My cousin and uncle have both departed this life; not sure what happened to my cousin's Belanger bat, but if anyone knows Mr. Garris, please let him know he can have his shirt back. Enjoy the picture but not the story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GC 1 Orioles.jpg (70.3 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg GC Orioles 1.jpg (12.7 KB, 181 views)