View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 05:29 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
There can be no serious question Bonds used at least after 1998 and that it significantly improved his power numbers.

There is also no serious question he was an elite player prior to that.

How one assesses that in terms of HOF, it's a matter of personal belief. I would put him in, and what's more, I still have a hard time putting roids in one box and speed in another although I understand roids have more of a demonstrable effect on performance.

Nick didn't Ted Williams have something close to a second peak very late? From memory I thought he had dropped off a bit post-Korean War but came back to have a couple of phenomenal seasons including a .388 right at the end? Or was it too short to qualify, or not deep enough beyond the BA?
Pete, Ted hit .316 in 1960, after turning 42 in August of that year, with an incredible 29 homers in just 310 at bats! Teddy F___ing Ballgame!! A pinched nerve in his neck in 1959 (he has stated that he couldn't really turn his head around in his stance to the point he was used to to see the pitch!) accounted for his only bad year, 1959.

As you know, best always,

Larry