View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
John et. al.

Being a teacher and working with children for the last 25 years, I was appalled at what went on with Sandusky and Paterno until one of my good friends asked me how I would have handled the situation.

I have made that call a few times in my career and each time it was on suspicion of abuse, not proof. And each time it was VERY difficult. I know teachers and staff that were unable to make the call even to possibly save a child. It is a difficult thing to confront. I am not excusing Paterno's actions at all and he had a responsibility to go further and he failed. But how many of you might have made the same calls in his situation. It is not an easy thing to believe, confront, and then take action against.

Before people roast Paterno, take a second and ask yourself how you would have handled it if a close friend/co-worker was possibly caught hurting a child and how would you handle all the implications to follow.

Joshua
Well-said, Joshua. One of the down sides to the internet is all the discussion forum preachers. I don't think any more or less of Paterno because of their speeches. The self-righteous pulpit is what Facebook's for.