View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedWill1939 View Post
I think there is a unique American ideal of redemption. Many people who hit the "big time" have to claw their way to the top, also add lie, cheat and steal. We hear many stories of those who reach their peak make amends, become charitable, and take up causes to better the world and not themselves. This maybe another fairytale but is def. an American theme. Which may explain why we focus on the positive. Last time I was into heros was when I was 12, so don't really get it myself
In sports it's not purely US thing.
It gets odd sometimes in cycling. riders get caught, and at least until very recently the ones that say "aw shucks, you got me" and take their year or two off are welcomed back as if nothing happened.
The ones that fight things a little, with some plausible excuse like "it must have been that Steak the fans sent from my home country" Are still welcomed back, but are a bit suspect for a while.
Fight it with all you can, or some outrageous excuse (extra whatever from a vanishing twin, eating a pie made from doped racing pigeons... ) It's pretty much over.

But in that sport doping has been a sort of wink and nod thing since the 1800's

Here in the US, I think we're much less forgiving of some things.