Thread: Harry Greb
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Thanks Everyone! Dave, was counting on you to post something on the more obscure side and you came through.

I agree - it's a pretty quick read, a lot of emphasis on 1919, obviously I guess as that was the point, but also a lot of emphasis on the Dempsey rivalry. I think it was more for the reader who already knew the highlights of Greb's career and that wasn't me.

I've started a thread after each Toledo book (Murderer's Row, Greb) and I just ordered a third.
If you are looking for another fabulous boxing read, I strongly recommend Tris Dixon's new book "Damage: The Untold Story of Brain Trauma in Boxing." The book just came out last week, and I am about halfway finished. This is the best book I have read on any subject in quite a while.

Everyone who is a boxing fan knows the sad end for guys like Muhammad Ali, Jerry Quarry, Wilfred Benitez, etc.,and many fans also know the sad tales of old time guys like Battling Nelson and Ad Wolgast, but Dixon looks at the history of brain damaged fighters. So many of the fighters he discusses in the book, I never knew what happened to them after their career ended and how much they struggled.

Dixon also talked with trainers, managers, neurologists for the book.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-03-2021 at 09:10 PM.