View Single Post
Old 05-13-2021, 08:10 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
What if Mickey Mantle had been healthy...
I think Mickey with no Injuries (and while we're at it, no drinking problem) would've been the greatest to ever play. I think it was the Lost Boy where the author came to the Conclusion that Mantle at a minimum played his entire career with a torn ACL. His injury from Schoendiest landing on his shoulder in the world series certainly didn't help either. I think 650 Home Runs for his career would've been all but guaranteed. Quite possibly more as he had to hang them up pretty young. We would've probably saw him steal some more bases as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
Here's one: what if Dean Acheson had included South Korea in the Asian Defense Perimeter? It likely would've prevented the Korean War (the Russians and Chinese were unwilling to support an invasion when they thought it likely the US would intervene, and omitting South Korea convinced them the US wouldn't). Leaving aside the political implications, with no war in Korea, Ted Williams doesn't get recalled, Willie Mays and Whitey Ford don't get drafted, and Mickey Mantle doesn't get hounded by alleged draft-dodging. Mays almost certainly hits 700 home runs. He might not have topped Hank Aaron, but he would have come close. Williams plays a full 1953 season where he tore the cover off the ball, and I'm sure there are other players as well who could've benefitted.

Had Williams not had to fight in both Wars, I think it would've just added to his cases as the greatest hitter ever. Mays would've come close to Aaron as well!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.