View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
You know, Jeff, every time there's a posting about some "authenticator's" massive f*ck-up, someone (or two, or three...) will post about how happy he is not getting involved with autographs, and implying, of course, that anyone who does is a fool. It's gotten real old, real quickly.
Autographic material is one of the most important--if not the most important--historical reference. We are all indebted to those, throughout the centuries, who have preserved it, passed it on, and made it available to museums, archives, and universities.
The idea that it's only good "if I've seen it signed myself," is as patently absurd as if those on the other side of this board were saying a card is only good "if I've seen it printed myself."
If, by your own admission you know very little about something, it may behoove you to refrain from publicly commenting about it.
David, I do not want to make this personal, but you apparently do. I have collected sports memorabilia for 25 years, not quite your 50 years but enough to know a thing or 2 about the hobby. I never implied anything at all. I know many autograph collectors that I have a great deal of respect for, and I have had the same debate with them.

Also, where did I write that I didn't know anything about autographs? I just said that I made the decision to not include them in my collection. Sorry, but I think that your foolish if you think that you can tell with 100 percent certainty that each and every autograph is real (if you haven't seen it signed in front of you). If you weren't there, you can't guarantee it with 100% certainty, sorry. You might be 99.99% sure, but you can't guarantee it, period. With clubhouse signatures, secretarial and spouse signers, not to mention devious forgers, there are no 100 percent guarantees. That is my opinion, not about you directly (or other knowledgeable collectors) but about that segment of the hobby in general.

BTW, If you haven't read the book Operation Bullpen, do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Jeff