Thread: The Opportunity
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 09:22 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
How many problem TPG cards have been identified, and how much in claims have they paid out? In other words, what is this "insurance policy" you speak of?

The concept I am proposing could involve a disclaimer on the LOA that it is only an opinion. The producer of the LOA - the dealer - will have his reputation behind it, and a money-back guarantee, which reputable dealers already have.

And, for that matter, if a dealer has a better reputation than the TPG, and many do, they would save the money otherwise spent for that TPG service by doing it themselves.

Exactly. Solutions can often be found by going back to the basics of the free market.

A dealer might just want to offer LOAs on the higher-end stuff, and something much simpler on low-end cards.

In theory, yes, but if the graders working at tables, grading card after card and just waiting for the weekend, miss an alteration, how much do they really care? The company cares, but does the guy who made the mistake have any vested interest? A dealer protecting his hard-earned good reputation sure does.

All good comments! Not saying I have the answer, just saying I trust some people more than others when it comes to assessing baseball cards.

If you don’t think the dealers would honor their guarantee then why would you want one? The only auctioneer who I ever saw say a card was overgraded was Rob Lifson. He would be the only person whose opinion I would trust. Otherwise, I think dealers are either not knowledgeable enough or conflicted or both.