View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Default OT: What is the best baseball game you ever attended?

Posted By: Kyle

I know I am one of the youngsters on the board, and my best game ever actually occurred this year. Below is a short story I typed up for a questionnaire for a job I am applying to.

Question:
What is the one best moment youve had so far this year?

Response:
The night of September 13th, I was sitting around my buddys apartment having dinner and a few drinks. Later that evening, an announcement was made that the Cubs would be making up a game against the Astros up in Milwaukee. We decided to splurge on tickets and to head up north the next day. I had never been to the Brewers stadium before and was especially excited since I am a huge admirer of all professional baseball stadiums. In fact, I hope to one day own my own field, even just to have batting practice on whenever I want.

Twenty-three thousand tickets to the Cubs/Astros game that night were sold in less than 24 hours, and the atmosphere inside the indoor facility was absolute insanity. From the start, the game had a certain feel about it; something special was going to happen. Carlos Zambrano was pitching a no-hitter, and he realistically had a chance to do it. After pitching through the heart of the Astros lineup in the 7th, reality set in. It could happen. No longer did anyone want to see Ramirez or Soriano come up and hit, we wanted Zambrano back on the mound.

Im surprised I didnt go home with my fingernails stinging from biting them so much, the suspense of the 8th and 9th innings were unreal. Even now, thinking back to that night and seeing Carlos throw the last strike to complete the no-hitter, I still get goosebumps. Twenty-three thousand fans screamed louder than I have ever heard at a professional sports game, most screaming with tears in their eyes, myself included.

Seeing Carlos Zambrano throw the first Cubs no-hitter in thirty-six years was easily my best moment of 2008.