Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 AM

Default Rare Motorcycle Statue

Hey thanks everyone for the kind words on the Vienna...Below another recent p/u...

Picked this up in an auction in Belgium recently…friend tipped me off to it…I prefer American but this was too cool to pass up…These city to city races were popular with motorcycles and autos in the teens and twenties in Western Europe…I gather this Liege to Paris to Liege race was a major race…but I’ve had a hard time researching it because I don’t know the go to people in Europe and the language barrier….the three major languages spoken in Belgium are Dutch, French, and German…Liege was I think the second largest city in Belgium next to Brussels…ya learn a lot collecting!…I think most Americans find this all curious but from what I’ve seen motorcycle racing was no less popular in Europe than it was here…maybe more so…Italy, Germany, France….they were all motorcycle crazy back in the early days of the teens and twenties…Below are some key questions I would like to learn about this statue.

1. Was it a trophy?
2. Was it a souvenir?
3. Who made it?
4. How many were made?
5. Were similar statues made for other races?
6. How many contestants competed in the race?
7. Who won the race?