View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I can't say I am a metalhead by any stretch. I like a song or two by the Scorpions, Judas Priest and a few others. The heaviest show I have ever been to was a Dead Kennedys show with original drummer Ted just before he left (The Channel, Boston). My musical tastes are all over the place and have gone to concerts ranging from New Age (George Winston) to traditional jazz (Ron Carter), folk (Arlo Guthrie), soul/r&b (James Brown), arena rock (Queen) and hardcore punk (the aforementioned DK's).

The one constant has been my 'Rock Book'. It is a book called 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock' compiled by two writers from NME (New Musical Express) the best music publication in the 1970's and 1980's out of England. I have been getting the book signed since 1979 when I was a poor college student and could not always afford the $6.99 - $7.99 vinyl. Since then I have gotten it signed by over 500 musicians. Every signature except for one was signed in front of me and I will not divulge that one. I was not as vigilant in the beginning, but I have a list of date and venues where it was signed and in the last 16 years I have also saved tickets, flyers and the such from events where it was signed. There have been a few people I did not realize had entries and forgot to bring it when I met them (Andrew Gold, Wendy Waldman) and a few who flat out refused to sign it (Van Morrison - me and him alone outside the downstairs bar at the Hard Rock in Boston after a show "I'm done working for the evening." and Robert Fripp, a pseudo-intellectual dick, "This is probably a piece of rubbish"). As the years go on inevitably some who have signed the book have passed away including a lot of good names (David Bowie, Jerry Garcia, Miles Davis, Carl Wilson, Paul Butterfield, Link Wray, Lou Reed, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Joe Strummer, Leonard Cohen, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Phil Everly, Maurice White, Tom Petty, Carl Perkins, Robert Palmer etc.).

This year alone 6 people who signed it have passed, two of them within a week of each other in October. Here are their signatures in no particular order:

Charlie Daniels - signed May 19,2006 at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA
Daniels.jpg

Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers. Died of Covid-19 - In store record signing Strawberries Records, Kenmore Sq. Boston October 14, 1980
Greenfield.jpg

Little Richard - October 5, 1984 in the lobby of Channel 4, Boston. He also signed his autobiography
little richard.jpg

Helen Reddy - April 26, 2008 Olsson's Books Alexandria, VA
reddy.jpg

Spencer Davis - June 15, 1996 Royal Sonesta Hotel, Cambridge, MA
spencer davis.jpg

Jerry Jeff Walker - September 21, 1989 Nightstage, Cambridge, MA
walker.jpg

Sorry for the long tale. I think I could talk an ear off a stalk of corn.

Michael 'I may have almost as many stories as Doug G.' B.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.