View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Where to start.

Jonathan - you posted a couple of tickets from the David Jo / Ramones Tour. I saw them in Boston with Willie Alexander and The Neighborhoods as the opening act. I will scan a couple of photos in a day or so.

Doug - pretty good on the clubs/venues. There was also Cantones and The Underground in Boston. Next to TT the Bears in Cambridge was the Middle East upstairs and downstairs. Cambridge also had Ryles, Jonathan Swifts and Passim. Somerville had Lillies where I saw The Dictators. The Wang Center was previously called the Music Hall. The Roxy, on the second floor of the hotel across the street from the Wang Center was first a concert venue called the Bradford Ballroom. I believe that is where I saw Gang of Four. And the Opera House, almost forgot that one.

Some history for the buildings on Landsdowne Street behind the Green Monster of Fenway Park. The main building was originally a horse barn then a car garage. It became the second incantation of the Boston Tea Party. In the mid/late 1970's it became a disco called Boston Boston. It's name was changed to The Metro and in 1980 Spit opened up to the right of it at the alley. They were owned by the same person. There was various remodeling and Spit became Axis and The Metro became Citi then Avalon. A club called Mama Kin (Aerosmith connected) opened to the left of Avalon. They were all eventually purchased by Don Law torn down and the House of Blues was built there. I may be a bit off on the Avalon/Citi history, but fairly close I believe.

Jonathan, here are The Clash autos in a similar book. The first one can be a bit fragile and I don't like to open it flat too much. It is a 200 +/- page paperback book with a glued spine and they tend to wear down. I got Joe Strummer at Tower Records November 13, 1989 during an in store record signing. I was first in line. He signed my two books, multiple Clash albums and a photo or two. I got Mick about 7 weeks earlier on September 28 when Big Audio Dynamite was in town. He went to WBCN, one block from Fenway Park, for an on air appearance and that deserves a story.

clash.jpg

I am sure Doug with all his experience has run into all kinds of people who feel it is their business to protect the musician. Most of the road crew people I have met have been okay. Stay out of their way and don't act like your trying to cause trouble or steal equipment and you are usually okay. It is the chauffeurs who cause the most problems. They fancy themselves important. WBCN was a one story brick building on Beacon Street across from the McD's in the movie "The Town" where Jeremy Renner was shot. The entrance was a small stairway about 20-25 feet from the street. For most of their time there the musicians came in the front. Knowing that you could meet pretty much anyone who was going there. About 4 or 5 of us were out front when the limo with Mick Jones pulled up. This 5' 5" driver jumps out and starts yelling at us to leave him alone as he has to get inside. Mick gets out of the car and proceeds to sit on the front fender and sign autographs for everyone. He was cool like most musicians. My friends did not know I had an in at the Channel and I took them down there after that for the soundcheck. No Mick but the rest of the band including Don Letts, Doug Roberts and Leo "E-Zee Kill" Williams. More stories to come.

Photos for the day

Jackson Browne at some sort of fundraiser Strand Theatre, Dorchester
jackson-browne-3-1_edited-1.jpg

Fee Waybill lead singer of The Tubes in character as Quay Lude. Orpheum Theatre. My favorite type of photo. I took the photo, printed it in a darkroom and got it signed in person.
fee.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”