View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
When the term "rookie card" was defined in the early 80s this was discussed. Nationally issued means the card is available to the majority collectors, not just a few in certain areas of the country. Bond Bread is the definition of regional. The only myth being spread is that something other than the Leaf and Bowman are rookie cards. Judging from Goldin last night, most of the hobby's opinion is still the Leaf is the rookie card to own. I don't see that ever changing.
The Leaf’s take off is extremely recent. I don’t think you can say things won’t change. In the time that the Leaf was taking off there haven’t really been too many sales of the Bond Bread Portrait card. If some were to hit the block right now I think you’d see a significant jump in the sale price of the Bond Bread too.

Definitions are what you make of them. The Bond Bread portrait card is one of the most significant issues in baseball card history and its place should be higher whether it’s “regional” or not. It predates the Leaf by at least a year and in some cases 2 years since Leaf was issued into 1949.