View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 07:01 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Auction is not always the best or most financially optimal way of selling

First off this is not a knock to any auction house as I know lotg and others are great reputable houses.

This is raising the point that auction is not always the best route to sell. Most buyers figure in the 20% buyers premium, shipping and sales tax when placing bids - assuming a collection like this would garner a 0% sellers commission - which is not a guarantee depending on the other cards in the collection. That nets the seller 20%+ less than current market. I know as a dealer I would and have offered to buy the pictured cards at 80% of current market right now.

If the cards were truly unique in some way - rare, condition anomalies, etc then I would agree that auction would be the best route. The cards pictured are not that and have as good a chance of selling a bit under market as at or over it. Likely netting the seller under 80% of market. It is very short sighted to think buyers are willing to pay the auction house 20% premium ON TOP OF market price on cards that are readily available.

That all said I certainly agree at least all pictured cards should be 3rd party graded prior to sale - likely more from the collection.

If anyone here has similar cards my offer stands - 80% of current market. My email is hcv123@att.net.

Last edited by hcv123; 10-03-2020 at 07:03 AM.