View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 01:35 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Default What Are Your Earliest Card Show Memories?

With all of the wonderful threads lately about the first card shows and the first National, I thought it might be fun to hear stories about the first card shows that people can remember going to or perhaps having a table at.

Those other threads make me wish I was born just a bit earlier. Alas, had I attended some of them, I likely would have been spitting up (or worse) on some of the goods!!

My first card show memory was in 1980. It was somewhere in Northern NJ at a hotel...not sure the town. Roy White was signing autographs. I was 9 years old and had a table set up (with a few other friends). Holy cow what fun that was!! I remember taking lots of my earnings and buying 1974 Topps football rack packs, that another dealer had for like $3 each. I still have the 1974 Topps Roy White that I had him sign.

Also in the early to mid 1980's I would attend the various Parsippany, NJ shows. They were at the Holiday Inn I believe. I would get there just as often as my dad was willing to drive me.

I also remember attending a show in New York City in early 1985. I thought I was so smart....thought I could stock up on this kid Gooden's 1985 card on the cheap before anyone else figured out how good he was. That didn't work out well, especially in NYC!! I also remember having a choice between a Pete Rose rookie or a beautiful 1962 Topps Yaz. I hated Rose and the Yaz was in better shape, so I bought the Yaz. Egad!!

Since not all of us were able to be there for those early hobby shows, I would love to hear about the first shows that you were able to attend.

Tom C