View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
I know this is an unpopular stance, but I don't get the whole Goudey Ruth thing. I've owned all 4, and they are very nice cards. I get that they are playing-era cards of the most iconic figure in sports. My issues are: 1. They were released 18 years into his career (the season before he retired). 2. They are renderings, rather than photos. 3. There are about 1,000 of each in the psa population alone. I didn't check sgc, but I know they have graded a ton as well. They are far from rare. And that doesn't even include the WWG pop. 4. Three of the cards use the same image, and two are identical other than the color on the background.
So while I do think they are attractive cards of the game's greatest figure, I don't really see why they are so revered in contrast to far earlier and more rare Ruth cards. You may bash me now.
1933 Goudey was the very first set issued with bubble gum. Many of us grew up buying packs of baseball cards with bubble gum in them. It is a landmark set that defines the hobby. It doesn't hurt that it has 4 Babe Ruth cards in it. These are the real bubble gum cards of the game's best player. Most eveything else are pretenders. That is like asking what is the big deal about the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle. Firsts in the hobby equate with iconic cards and iconic sets.