View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Default O/T but may be somewhat helpful

Posted By: Ed McCollum

I live in Omaha, NE, moving here two years ago after 20 years in Lincoln (I'm sure I must have visited Dan's video store many times, although he hasn't said what the name of his place is). My para-educator wife, who works with behavioral disorder children, 15 year old son and I live in an older part of town and I work as art director for a national and international non-profit provider of services for the mentally retarded and developmentally disabled.

I started collecting baseball cards at 9; my grandfather, who bought me my first pack, couldn't figure out why a diabetic kid wanted baseball cards, thinking I wanted the gum I couldn't have. My parents, then wife and son probably wish he hadn't bought that first pack.

Have complete sets of Topps from '72-current, and my wife bought my first vintage card as a first anniversary gift in 1989 (cobb/red back T206). I was hooked. Things went well until I lost a job in 2003, which forced a cut in pay that still has not been recovered. Plus, a 15 year old son takes a lot more to feed, cloth, transport than in previous years. So from 178 T206s in the first 14 years, I've been able to purchase only one a year for the past two years. Low grade commons to match all the other low grades in my collection.

But I do have plans of living another 345 years so I can complete the set eventually.

I appreciate the camaraderie and knowledge found on this board.