View Single Post
Old 05-26-2021, 12:13 PM
Todd Schultz

I was informed by a collector that General Gum Inc. issued a set of non-sport cards known in the hobby as "Trick Cards" that were also issued by O-Pee-Chee in the same era. They carry a R155 catalog designation, and the OPC are listed as V305. These have been dated to 1930 and circa 1933, depending on source. So the two companies had the same product released at least one other time.

The cards were issued with "Mystery Gum" here in the U.S. Here's what the cards looked like:

https://auctions.vintagenonsports.co..._-LOT3507.aspx

I could not see a street address on the wrapper--probably was none-- but a mailing envelope shows a different address from a little further north in Chicago, on Diversey Parkway. I do not see a connection with this address and Curtiss Candy, but I haven't yet looked for one.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.