View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
very nice cards
Congrats
Also thanks for the education in this variation
Thank you! I am glad you like this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is a cool print offset on the blue hat one. Is it a double print card? That would explain the different color cap and one having a yellow line down the left side and the other don't. That yellow line isn't any kind of print error.
It sure is cool! The Jackie is not a DP. Here is the uncut sheet which was posted by Ted Z. back in 2016:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I was at a show in Willow Grove in the early 1980s … a dealer named George Lyons ( who was always very nice to me and sold me a bunch of stuff) had a notebook with at least 10 exmt 48 Leaf Jackie Robinsons. I bought one for $40 … he said pick whichever you want. He told me to take one specifically but I chose another. The one he told me to take had a distinctly orange background….. different from all the rest. He was giving me good advice and I’m sorry I didn’t take it…. but I still remember that Day almost 40 years ago and that card I didn’t buy.
That is crrraaazzzzyyyy!! An orange background Jackie? Wow! Did you keep the one you bought from George that day? Show it off here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks87 View Post
Ted Z. is the guru of Leaf for sure, it would probably need to come down to which had the smaller run, the initial offering or the correction, as there are a lot less of the "blue hat" variations. In my printing experience, masking a plate off to mute heavy ink areas is usually the correction side of things, though that doesn't account for the yellow stripe on all "blue hat versions", if the stripe was the correction, then the full color version of the hats were the initial printing, and the details were added later by unmasking or remaking the plates, which may account for the short print? A mystery for sure. Ted has a uncut sheet layout and maybe able to (or already has) shed light on the short print distribution as far as date, and if it was a restrike, or a new printing all together that may have used stars as fillers to fill the page, with slight variations to the image.
I have never worked in the printing field before, and so my knowledge on this subject is limited. But I am lucky that I got to interview someone who worked at Zabel Brothers, and of course, talking to all of you on here helped me a lot. I didn't know that plates could be masked - sounds pretty cool. This might have been done with these cards.

The above card is from the hard-to-find second series and you can see how the striping on his jersey is missing on the second card. Was this change deliberate or a print error? Interesting stuff, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As far as I can tell the entire set has these variations.

The pinkish face on the blue hat is actually from them using basic magenta in the CMYK process. The cards with it aren't the easiest to find compared to the others. On Jackie it's harder to spot. On cards with a red background it's very easy.
Like the Ruth card in this screenshot.

Most or all the portraits and cards where a bat is near the border have the extra lines of color. It's deliberate, and I believe the order was.
Pink backgrounds extra color along portraits/bats
Red backgrounds extra color along portraits/bats
Red backgrounds extra color along portraits/bats Shading added to hats
Red backgrounds no extra color shading added to hats.

Since there's four colors there are also some odd transitional types.

I think the pink was changed because.... Kids didn't want pink baseball cards?
The extra bars of color were probably removed to save a bit on ink. It seems trivial but over a long press run it adds up. (Or possibly a cost tradeoff with adding the shading. It's a pretty messed up set printingwise so who knows what they were thinking. )

I made a spreadsheet for myself with as many pictures of the variations as I could find. for most cards I found 3-4 but I consider it an ongoing thing. I check through ebay etc every now and then, and usually find a "new" one.
Hey - how have you been? You should link your old thread on this subject here. A lot of us would like to look over it again.

And by the way, everybody, here is the famous Ted Z. Leaf thread below:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=222952