Thread: Carlton World
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 12:18 AM

Default Motorcycle Finds Sacramento Antiques Faire

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...s+silent+short
Last Sunday I went to the Sacramento Antiques Faire and did very well…First I picked up a very rare 1929 movie lobby card for “Speeding Youth”…which was one “short” feature of a series called “The Collegians”…I believe they were all silent films…I found a book on-line that gives all the shorts they did…I haven’t been able to find out if the movie exists and can be seen but I did find several of the features on YouTube….see link above...But what I can tell you is in all my years collecting I had never seen or heard of this lobby card or "The Collegians" series before this...Buck Rainey in his book "Serials and Series" A World Filmography, 1912-1956, states it was probably the most popular two-reel series made in the 1920's...That was one of the best days I ever had at the Sacramento Faire!...This stuff ain't easy to find...

I did a little poking around about the actors…one of them Churchill Ross 1901-1962…the diminutive looking gentleman wearing round bookworm glasses second from right...standing behind the motorcycle with the red and white striped helmet…Many years after this lobby card he managed and was the host of Billingsley's Steak Ranch in Calabasas near Los Angeles in the late 1950’s and early 60’s…I thought it was interesting Billingsley's restaurant and motel complex was where the 1967 cult classic movie “Hot Rods To Hell” was filmed…Also…Barbara Billingsly who played Mrs. Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver was the owners wife…

Then I found a very nice motorcycle race broadside from the Sacramento area…not sure of age but think late 1940’s to 1950’s…I found news clippings that indicate racing stopped at the venue in 1957…Has a great classic look….cool red printing…I asked a gentleman who knows motorcycle racing history in Sacramento and he was kind enough to elaborate on it…see below:

QUESTIONS:
On Monday, November 9, 2020, 10:05:30 AM PST, Carlton wrote:
Richard…Thanks….If can….may I ask a few questions about this poster…
1. Are you familiar with the Selby Stables venue the race was at?....First I’ve heard of it…I only heard there were races at Slough House…and the fairgrounds…anything you can supply about Selby Stables would be great…
2. Would this have been a flat track race?...what is meant by “Field Meet”…and “TT Races”…
3. What was meant by “Dig Outs” and “Australian Pursuit”….
4. I take it from the top line that there were two main motorcycle clubs in Sacramento…”Capital City”…and “Fort Sutter”….Fort Sutter still exists…what’s the story on “Capital City”…was Capital City and bicycle club?...as I seem to recall that…
Thanks so much for your anticipated help understanding this poster…
Kindly –carlton

ANSWERS:
On Monday, November 9, 2020, 4:42 PM PST, Richard wrote:
Carlton, The Capitol City m/c was founded as an FAM club in 1914 and later turned into an AMA club. They started as a bicycle club in the late 1800's. The Fort Sutter started in 1934 as an AMA club. Capitol City was the Harley club and the Fort Sutter was the Indian club. They and the Reno M/C, Stockton M/C, San Jose M/C, and Chico M/C used to hold Field meets for friendly competition. Shelby Stables, the old Del Paso park, and Alder Creek up by Colfax were old meet sites. TT is a short race with jumps in it. Australian Pursuit is a small tight circle of members that about five a six rides race around. Digouts are real short hillclimb type runs. Jim Reed was the Indian dealer in Sacramento after Al Lauer in the early 50's and his daughter Kim Edwards is coming out with a book next spring that is all about the dealers, clubs, racers, and riders of the Sacramento area.
Richard

Also couldn't resist a Berkeley Calif Amtrak sign...very heavy...will go good in my bathroom...The Lord sure blessed my endeavor that day!!!!!...I could hardly believe no one snagged those two pieces before I got there...as I didn't find them till around 7AM...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 11-15-2020 at 01:44 AM.