View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 10:10 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuts View Post
Folks from Cleveland, did the campaign to pick the Spiders ever really take off locally? It always seemed to get good traction online, but never saw it mentioned in any Ohio media.
Not really that I ever heard of. Did see some online stuff about emailing suggestions and such to the team, but if I remember correctly, there was some caveat that in so doing that you had to give up the right to that name and only allow the team to copyright and use it. The team was first and foremost out to make sure they, and they alone, controlled whatever name they ended up selecting so as to maximize and control whatever profit they could make out of the new name and logo. All the while still selling Indians and Chief Wahoo gear for right now. You watch, the team will maintain the Indians and Chief Wahoo copyrights for now, in case they can still profit off it somehow. Meanwhile, their probable public excuse for keeping them is to say they don't want anyone just taking them over and to start producing items that will be disrespectful to native Americans.

There are another couple of names I thought might be good ones. Cleveland used to have a popular hockey team called the Barons, in the AHL, and for a while had the Crusaders in the NHL. Since neither team is with us any longer, both of names should have been available. Either of those rolls off the tongue better than the Guardians. And you could probably resurrect some version of the old logos as well. And if you used the Crusaders, that kind of goes along with the Cleveland State University Vikings and the Cleveland Cavaliers as having a somewhat similar medieval group represented by the name.