View Single Post
Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest

Forrest joined the Ku Klux Klan in 1867 (two years after its founding) and was elected its first Grand Wizard. The group was a loose collection of local factions throughout the former Confederacy that used violence and the threat of violence to maintain white control over the newly enfranchised former slaves. The Klan, with Forrest at the lead, suppressed voting rights of blacks in the South through violence and intimidation during the elections of 1868.

In 1869, Forrest expressed disillusionment with the lack of discipline in the white supremacist terrorist group across the South and issued a letter ordering the dissolution of the Ku Klux Klan as well as the destruction of its costumes; he then withdrew from the organization. In the last years of his life, Forrest insisted he had never been a member and made a public speech in favor of racial harmony.

Much like Bob Byrd, Forrest denounced racism later in life.
Look. This discussion has nothing to do with the thread. It started because vintagetoppsguy tried to disparage Biden, who I am no fan of BTW, by showing a picture of him with Robert Byrd and suggesting that that was worse than having a bust honoring Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest. Never mind that Robert Byrd served in the Senate for 51 years and was minority leader at the time, obviously someone Biden was obligated to work with. Never mind that Byrd joined the KKK as a youth but later called it the biggest mistake of his life and renounced racism and segregation. Never mind that Forrest was not just a member of the KKK but its Grand Wizard. Never mind that Forrest massacred Black Union soldiers at Fort Pillow as they tried to surrender. Never mind that the false equivalency could not be more obvious. The level of evil displayed by Forrest is in no way comparable to Robert Byrd. Not equivalent at all. For pointing this out, I was called stupid and a jackass. How ridiculous. I am done. This has nothing to do with Cleveland adopting new name.

Last edited by bigtrain; 07-25-2021 at 08:15 AM. Reason: additional information