View Single Post
Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I can only speak for myself. The major consignments I've gotten in over the last year or so have all been either older collectors who are realizing that there is no interest in the collection from the next generation of their family.

or

The next generation of the family dealing with a collection that has been left behind.

Many of scenario #2 have been sitting on the cards for some time now but all the mainstream press about cards has hit the general public's radar and motivated them to act.

Sad side note, even some of these legacy collections that have been in one set of hands for decades are not free from the insidious card doctors. Collections that were still being added to more recently are RIDDLED with problem cards. It's astonishing. I've got trimmed 1952 Topps Mantle, Trimmed 1933 Goudey Ruth Red, Altered 1934 Goudey Gehrig, a stunning 1949 Duke Snider rookie that is probably trimmed, it goes on and on.

Oh and almost all of these collections are raw.

Just my personal observation I can't speak for every auction.
These cards could have been trimmed back in the disco days for all we know. The Rosen book I recently read pointed out that cards have been getting altered for a long time.