View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Miguel Sz@b@nĄ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
In the summer, in Detroit, in the fifties, baseball was everything. Those were magical times for me.....sandlot baseball from dawn to dark......my Kaline model glove, a 6oz. Coke, and a pack of 58Topps or 59, or 57. That big thick chewy slab of pink heaven. The thrill of going to Briggs Stadium to watch our hero Tigers....to see The Mick swing the bat, (if the Yankees were in town) ...or Mr. Tiger make a game saving catch........Except for now...those were the best days of my life, but occasionally baseball cards can be a kind of time machine and transport me back to those magical times of the fifties, when baseball was everything.
My interest naturally expanded into prewar, (which I immensely enjoy) and up to date, but to be honest I don't even care for the modern game and don't follow it much except at World Series time.
My Dad grew up in Detroit in the fifties and says the same exact thing. Must of been a wonderful time! Last year at the World Series he got to meet his childhood hero Al Kaline for the first time. I've never seen him quite so giddy.

As for me, my Dad collected back in his day. Then when I was young he would bring a pack of cards home after work for me and Ive been hooked ever since.

Last edited by Julz24; 05-23-2013 at 10:40 AM.