View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Default 1920's Shotwell MFG - Red Grange cards?

Posted By: Leon

Any one know anything about these? A visitor to my web site sent this email...

Hi Leon!
I was on your website and looked at some of your vintage material. It looks wonderful. I have a couple of pieces that I would like to ask you about and get an idea of what they are worth. Just a brief background. I'm working on a project that I'm finding very interesting and am blogging as I go. Hhaving recently retired I'm working on a trash to cash project. I turned in three bags of aluminum cans and got $3 in return and I'm now on a journey to see what I can turn the $3 into and am writing a blog and sharing the experience. I've only been at it for two weeks and have already gotten into some fascinating items. I'll give you the address of my blog later and you can go there and follow along if you like, but right now I need the help of an expert of sorts. I bought a book at an auction. The book itself was rather insignificant however the young man who owned the book had an interesting set of book marks in the book. There were two small pictures of Red Grange about 1.5"x3" . They are inscribed as #2 A Forward Pass and #11 On the Run. The back indicates that they are #2 and #11 of a 12 piece set. Also that if postage is sent in the amount of 40 cents they will send an 11"x14" autographed photo and for 35 cents postage an album of the complete collection and the story of Red Granges career will be sent. I'm enclosing pictures of the pieces. The backs are identical so I'm only sending one photo of the back. I found them along with a home work assignment that the young man did in April of 1926, so I assume they predate that time.They are obviously advertising pieces from the Shotwell Mfg. Co. but I don't know anything about them. I would like to share info on my blog and would be happy to credit you for the information and include a link to your website. In being true to my stated goal for my blog I must sell them. I would like to know what a fair price is and also if you would be interested in purchasing them for your collection. I would appreciate any help you can give me. My blog is http://cans-to-cash.blogspot.com . I would certainly welcome any help you can give me.
Thanks
Dick

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]