View Single Post
Old 09-21-2021, 11:37 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Here's a free piece of advice. Repeatedly saying that anyone who disagrees with you is stupid or uninformed or unqualified or disingenuous is not an effective means of debate or discussion.
Fair point. It just makes me look like an ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And here's a counterpoint. If a card is common enough and has an established recent value range, it shouldn't matter if an extra 10,000 people or however many view auction 2 instead of auction 1. None of those extra eyes should be willing to pay more than the card is worth/available elsewhere readily. By your theory, almost every PWCC card would sell higher, since it has more eyes on it, and it's just empirically not true.
Yes, as I mentioned above, the relationship is not a linear function. This is what I meant when I said, "there would be an element of diminishing returns (i.e., having 40 million eyes on an auction is effectively equivalent to having 5 million eyes on that auction, but having 40,000 is still significantly better than having 5,000)." The shape of the curve and the ceiling for a maximal benefit view count and the point at which the diminishing returns "kick in" would all be a function of both supply and demand for that individual card. We should expect to have a steeper curve for something like a Ken Griffey Jr PSA 9 Upper Deck RC than we would for something like a 1933 Goudey Lou Gherig and a shallower curve for something like a 1933 Goudey common. But the relationship between view counts and sold prices should look like some version of the plots below.
Attached Images
File Type: png Rplot02.png (8.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Rplot.jpg (6.4 KB, 251 views)