View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Sc0tt Sp@id

Quote:
Originally Posted by geosluggo View Post
The '73 Schmidt rookie comes to mind. Not a bad card itself, but part of my least-favorite set. I was 8 years old when the 1973 cards came out and remember being hugely disappointed in them after the exuberant 1972 set. My feelings toward the '73 set, and 1973 in general, were largely influenced by the death of my favorite player, Roberto Clemente, on New Year's Eve and the first-series card of him that didn't acknowledge his passing (I was too young to appreciate printing schedules; but couldn't they have put out a commemorative card in the later series?). Years later, I still think the 1973 design was poor and many of the action photos were terrible. To me, the decline from 787 cards in 1972 to 660 cards in 1973 fits right in with Watergate, the tail end of Vietnam, gas shortages, avocado-colored appliances and other early-1970s blights.
I feel the same way about the 1973 set.Steve Garvey was my hometown hero and that year's card is not only the worst Garvey of them all card but the worst in the entire 1973 set. Maybe one of the worst cards of all time. Thankfully, his 1974 card made up for it. The photo on that card is epic.