View Single Post
Old 07-30-2021, 12:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Yes, Ruth was much much better, blah, blah, blah, nobody disagrees with you (probably), and Ohtani will probably have no real effect in changing the offensive structure of the game. Ok got it, let's ignore you ignoring the point of Frank's post and allow me to ask you a single question :

What other player, in what other season since 1919 has done anything that could be even remotely compared to Ruth in 1919?

If your answer is "there isn't one" than you are acknowledging that "There is really no other season comparable to 2021 Ohtani since 1919".

I would suggest that it is nitpicking to point out how great Ruth was, the initial post was just saying that nobody compares to The Babe but this Ohtani kid has come closer than anybody in terms of all around pitching & hitting prowess.

Doug "Astutely picking my own Nits" Goodman
I didn’t even say Ruth was better, I said he was a better hitter in context but a worse pitcher in context. I doubt Ohtani changes the game significantly for the next century as Ruth did, but a reasoned case for Ohtani could be made if one values the pitching more and limits the argument into the confines of the season only.

I would agree with the claim that there are parallels and it is the first significant hitter and pitcher season since Ruth in 1919. But this was not the argument that was actually given, read the OP, it is almost entirely a direct comparison of their statistics stripped of environment context. No one is saying Ohtani is not having a great year, or that there are not parallels, some of us are saying the comparison given should not be stripped of all context. It is not unreasonable to reply to the argument and comparison that is actually put forth. It is not “ignoring the point” to directly address the bulk of the content actually posted.