View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 10:59 AM
Steve Birmingham

I'm not sure about the King, It could be a faulty plate, or a massive over inking.
The other potential culprits like a dry plate or printed from a stuck piece of paper don't seem likely for a variety of reasons.

Bakep and Herrer are probably not differences on the plate, although Herrer could be.

The Campos, is printed from a plate that was made wrong, from a faulty mask. I just don't see any way for it to be a transient printing flaw.
The plate was probably replaced or corrected quickly.

I think nearly every card has some flaw or something that could be listed, but the question becomes how trivial should something be before it's not listed.

One of the catalogs I use for another hobby deals with complex issues in a stepped fashion. First a basic set listing with major easily recognized varieties. Next is a detialed listing of color, and paper varieties followed by a listing of known relatively major plate flaws. Last, if it's needed, a reference to a different book. It's phrased nicely like "for more detials see"but could very appropriately be phrased "If you're totally insane, some other crazy person wrote a whole book about this"