View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 03:51 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Here's a cooler one; the T220 Maher (corrected variation, with properly colored ropes and without the solid backdrop layer). The card on the left has the fainter pink in the stripes on his flag belt, and an orange backdrop. The reddish given to skin tone is also a much fainter pink, but the other colors remain bold and strong. Is this a rare, true misprint? Maybe. But it probably isn't.

Based on the tiny prices paid and how I acquired these cards, with the sellers not even notating the color differences, none of these are likely to be intentionally doctored cards. They are just the affects of a century of non ideal storage. It happens in T cards, red fades to orange even without malevolence. But when it's a Cobb with an orange background being sold for big bucks, one should remember that it just so happens to be the color issue that happens over time naturally AND is easy to doctor. I've seen it done and done it myself on non-sport test T cards; producing red to orange is not difficult. No wonder there are so many of those Cobb's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2466.jpg (134.0 KB, 72 views)