View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I have reached the point that if I suspect any autograph/memorabilia and it originated from Florida, always pass....I know that is a broad statement, but not wasting my money...even if it seems like they are giving it away at those prices (which is another dead giveaway that it is a forgery).

The crap is definitely originating in Florida.
By that I mean the Mantle, DiMaggio and Williams, etc stuff. They have branched out into Koufax, Aaron, Schmidt, etc also.
The "vintage" bogus crap (Cobb, Johnson, Ruth, etc),, well not sure yet but some of it is coming from PA. CC I believe is selling their stuff to smaller auction houses and middle men but there are also some older clever forgers operating now and for a long time. When I say clever I don't mean their work is necessarily very good (though some of it is), but it was clever of them to start dumping their stuff into these smaller auctions.
However, it also seems that their is a new breed of poorly skilled forger out there, and that is why there is so much of this stuff now. It is as bad or worse than the days pre-Operation Bullpen.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-22-2012 at 09:31 AM.