View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
Yes, you buy. I too love to buy without certs, because it can be had cheaper. He's talking about selling. There is no doubt that if you are not a big name dealer and you are going to sell a Ruth auto, or any high end baseball auto for that matter, the investment to get it certed by one of the two big alphabets pays dividends. I don't know or care about boxing, but it's true in baseball. That is a result of marketing, and it is a pain in the ass, but it is reality.
Doh. You are right - I read the posts, but totally was focused on buying, not selling.

But I still disagree with their point, even when selling. First of all, you are going to get screwed if you sell on ebay, PSA and/or JSA cert or not - yes, a known seller will do better than you, regardless of LOA's. That leaves two other options. If you are selling here, then you shouldn't have any problems - I've done much better selling non-certified autographs here, than certified on ebay. Your third option is to sell through an auction house, and they will slap on a PSA/JSA 'pre-cert' designation whether you like it or not.

The above is true from my experience, for the legitimate stuff (like the letters I buy and sometimes sell), but if you were trying to sell a single-signed (or even team) Ruth forged baseball, the PSA or JSA LOA would be very, very helpful.