View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Bill Boyd

Default sandlot team help. 1948

Out of our families collection, was found this 1948 original press photo of an unuasual play between, what I believe to be, two Sandlot teams.
The press stamp was very faded but through a magnifying glass I could barely make out the year of 1948.
The team at bat is called Wenham's and the team in the field is called the Bartunek's, or at least that's what the back of the photo says.
In searching the internet, I found that a Frederick Wenham owned a trucking Company, and sponsored many ages of baseball teams, and all appeared to be called the Wenham Truckers. And that he also sponsor a minor league team.
The other team is a little more of a mystery. I found that there used to be a team called the Cleveland Bartunek's Clothes (sponsor name). I found two histories of two players who played on the Truckers, and it stated the team was a Class A division team, that's all I know exect they were out of the Cleveland area. Found nothing further on the Bartuneks
Looking at the photograph, under the name Bartuneks, it does not appear to be clothes???
I can find no league or standings involving either team. The stadium in the photograph appears to be a nice stadium and they may have been Class A teams.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these two teams or where else I may check.
I will post the wire photo, but I appologize for the crappy scan, as I was in a rush, I scanned the photo on Automatic and it came out sideways, and again rushing, I rotated it and saved but lost a little of the words on the back. I do not have the photo in front of me now to rescan.Attachment 94992

Attachment 94993
The runner was named Ruppe, the first baseman who made the play was named Ben Visal, and the top just stated unusual play.

Last edited by billyb; 01-17-2016 at 07:25 PM.