View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default Set collectors - what cards give you the most hassle?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

David: Some participants here have far greater disposable income than others. And it has been my experience that these individuals are typically the least elitist of the contributors. Many collectors have no plans to hold on to individual cards for any length of time, others continuously cycle cards into and out of their inventory. For a time these collectors can and do hold some seriously desireable cards.

I think though that most collectors choose what suits them best. For me, and many others, cards individually priced below $1000 is the rule; often less than 20% of that value. I reserve greater value purchases for a non-card collectible alternate hobby of mine. To some, this view may be elitist. But I do not intend it as such. To others, this view may be pitiful, but I am happy with what I collect.

Similarly, I do not feel that the slabheads are pretentious at all. They simply opt to obtain very fine examples of cards, and often engage in the "who has the best" competition offered by the services. It is not my game, but it is a game. The same applys to every other area of specialization here. It is all for fun! And most rejoice when a beginner gets his first beater t206 and every other collecting milestone he achieves, because we all were there more or less.

I am sorry if the general attitude here seems belittling. It is not intended as such, is my belief. Welcome and have fun!

Edited to add: None of the above was written in reference to Boxingcardman. Actually, any resemblence to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.